Nine Years Later

Using Social Media
 


In 2010, Terry’s daughter Ajineen decided to post Terry’s “Missing” poster on Facebook, with the hopes of getting some clues about Terry’s disappearance. Every year since then, Ajineen has re-posted her plea, and countless friends have shared the request. In 2010, her efforts made the news. The following are excerpts from a Regina Leader-Post article of December 20, 2010.


Nine years after her father's unsolved disappearance, Ajineen Sagal desperately wants to be able to update her Facebook status to say, "I finally know what happened to him."

On Friday night, Ajineen posted her dad's Missing poster on her Facebook profile picture.

"I have over 600 friends on Facebook. Perhaps if they all were to post a picture of my dad, somebody somewhere might know something and be able to help find him or clues to his whereabouts," she said in a telephone interview Saturday. "After all, isn't that the point of Facebook ... to network? Well, this is my way of reaching hundreds and maybe thousands of people that perhaps did not even know about the disappearance beforehand."

Her dad, Terry Sagal, has been missing since Dec. 18, 2001. …


Ajineen was in Vancouver, acting, when she was notified that her father had vanished.

"It was the day after closing night that I found out he disappeared," she said. "I had spoken to him two days before that. We talked a lot, because I'm an only child and my dad homeschooled me for six years while my mom was working as a teacher. My dad was amazing at so many things ... He was a huge part of my life."

She said the hardest part is not knowing why he disappeared.

"You go through the scenarios -- either he went away somewhere and he's alive, he went away somewhere and he's dead, he died of natural causes, he committed suicide, or he was killed," Ajineen said.

"None of them make sense."

As the mother of a one-year-old son, she can't fathom the pain her grandparents endured over the years and is sad that her grandfather died this past summer without knowing his son's fate.

"I wish we'd find out for everyone," Ajineen said.

Ron Sagal, Terry's brother, said nine years is a long time to have no answers.

"As the years go on, other things in your life take a larger part of your conscious mind and it becomes part of your subconscious," said the Regina man. "There's still times when you're driving and you see someone who looks like him and your immediate thought is, 'Is that him?' "

~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Introduction

My brother Terry, shortly before he went missing on December 18, 2001. Ambiguous Loss: The most stressful type of loss; a type of loss tha...