The Following Years

 

Soon after Terry’s disappearance, my life became very busy. In January, our son became engaged. In February, we bought the catamaran in which we planned to sail around the world. In May, we flew to Florida to start the fit-up of our new boat. Throughout the year, we liquidated many of our assets to prepare for a life on the sea. This included selling our home and moving into a small apartment. In June, we returned to Florida and sailed our boat to the Saint Lawrence River so she would be closer to us (about a two-and-a-half hour drive away from Ottawa). In August, we attended a pre-retirement seminar so we could get our heads around all the implications of leaving our jobs early. In September, we were in Red Deer for our son’s wedding. On Christmas Day, a little over a year after Terry’s disappearance, we volunteered at a soup kitchen and served Christmas Dinner to the homeless.

I have no idea what the Regina Police were doing with regards to investigating Terry’s disappearance. A few emails were being sent back and forth, but their key contact was Terry’s wife, who was no longer communicating with the Sagal family, so if anything was being done, we were in the dark about it. But I don’t know if there was anything they could be doing. I continued to mourn the loss of my big brother and continued to shed tears as I shared the story with close colleagues and friends. That is what I will always remember … the sympathy and understanding and shared frustration and love extended by so many of my friends, and especially the love and comfort provided by my husband.

In 2003, Darrel’s father passed away and then it was my turn to help Darrel deal with a huge loss. Then, in September, new life came into the world. Our sweet little granddaughter Tehja was born. In October, we flew to Alberta to hold her and love her and celebrate life. Joy began to win over sorrow.

In 2004, Darrel and I sailed our catamaran “CanKata” to the Caribbean and lived on her for six months, making sure we were comfortable with the new lifestyle we were choosing. In December of that year, we had another beautiful addition to our family: our grandson Taylor was born. More joy! Then, in 2005, Darrel and I retired from our jobs and became “yachties”, living full-time on our boat and planning to sail around the world. Before we left Canada, our son and his family visited us, so we were able to share some precious moments before heading off. We gave Dylan some memento’s from his grandfather and some pottery of Terry’s. At this stage in my life, I felt that life was wonderful and full of hope, as I still do, but from time-to-time a dark cloud comes over me as I wonder if there is something I should be doing to find out what happened to Terry.


Introduction

My brother Terry, shortly before he went missing on December 18, 2001. Ambiguous Loss: The most stressful type of loss; a type of loss tha...