The Clairvoyant

 

I saw a man humped in a ball.... there is a reddish brown brick wall and a garbage bin nearby (one of those big metal commercial ones). I am not sure if the man is on the ground or in the bin. It’s not far from where he disappeared - to the right of the building something keeps directing me that way. The lane is T shaped. You go to the end of the lane and it joins another like the letter T. There are tall buildings there --- about three stories or maybe higher, four. The body is buried but not in the ground - it’s covered by something, papers and bags - like it was dumped off a truck down a hill - it lies on its left side still in the same curled up position. It was not in the bushes ... in an open area where ever there is a large garbage dump. Look in the city ... he never left the city.

 

My younger brothers Ron and Mike continued to be very active in the search for Terry. Ron hired a private detective, which he said was a total waste of money. Perhaps if we had all pooled our money together, we could have hired a more effective detective. But we were disorganized in our efforts.

A few months after Terry’s disappearance, Mike was contacted by an old school friend who has clairvoyant abilities. I was very interested in what she would have to say, because she came from a big family too and many of us Sagals went to school with one or another of her siblings. Her family, like ours, had suffered the suicide of one of the boys (my brother Christopher had committed suicide in July 2000). So I felt we had a connection.

I was at work when I got the email with what she had to say. She believed that Terry had been killed the night of his disappearance and was thrown into a dumpster. The email upset me so much that I phoned my husband, who worked in the next building, and asked him to meet me in the cafeteria. A couple of other co-workers joined us and it was more than evident to them that I was in a terrible emotional state. But they talked me though it and calmed me down, reminding me that there was nothing scientific about the recent news. But it is still the theory that I cling to, not because it gives me any comfort and not because it is how I want this story to end, but simply because it seems so believable to me. Terry did live in a very rough city.

I’m not the only one who feels that way. In a CBC news interview in 2009, my brother Mike says, "I think he was murdered in Regina for the vehicle and thrown in a dumpster. A few of my family members believe the same thing."


Introduction

My brother Terry, shortly before he went missing on December 18, 2001. Ambiguous Loss: The most stressful type of loss; a type of loss tha...